Airport Zoning Ordinance
Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Time: 5:00 P.M. - 7:00 P.M.
County Administration Building
610 South Mine Street
McCormick, SC 29835
McCormick County Planning Commission and McCormick County Council will hold a public hearing to review a proposal to amend Section 2.5, McCormick County Zoning Ordinance, Airport Protective Areas, adopted in 1991 to Airport Environs Overlay District, amend the McCormick County Airport Environs Compatibility Zones Map (Airport Zoning Map), and incorporate both into the existing County Ordinance.
The purpose of these amendments is to enhance the safety and property of people on the ground in proximity to the McCormick County Airport, preserve safe and efficient operations on and in the vicinity of the McCormick County Airport, and comply with state law.
Within 10,000 feet of the McCormick County Airport, this Airport Environs Overlay District provides for:
- limitations on land uses that may be incompatible with airport operations, and
- limitations on the height of objects that may be hazardous to the operational safety of aircraft using the airport.
This public hearing will be conducted in an informal workshop-style format, not a formal presentation. Members of the public are welcome to attend at any time during the public hearing hours to view information about the proposal, ask questions of staff, and submit written comments.
The proposed Airport Environs Overlay District amendments include the following:
- Language consistency with existing McCormick County Ordinance for incorporation as Section 2.5.
- Language updates to airport protective surfaces designations and descriptions to conform to the current versions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 77, Safe, Efficient Use, and Preservation of the Navigable Airspace; FAA Advisory Circular 150/5190-4B, Airport Land Use Compatibility Planning; South Carolina Code of Laws, Title 55, and South Carolina Aeronautics Commission’s Model Airport Height and Land Use Ordinance.
- Addition of a land use table to simplify the determination of permitted, limited, and prohibited land uses within Airport Environs Overlay District.
- Amendment to clarify the requirements for a Fair Disclosure Statement upon selling or renting real estate or land in a certain proximity to the McCormick County Airport.
- Addition of special permit requirements and coordination for new construction permitting process.
- Addition of special requirements for marking and lighting existing obstructions.
- Requirement for Planning & Zoning Department to complete additional coordination with FAA and South Carolina Aeronautics Commission along with existing County administrative process prior to approving a new permit.
- Amendment of the Airport Zoning Map.
- THESE AMENDMENTS GENERALLY DO NOT APPLY RETROACTIVELY TO EXISTING PROPERTY, BUILDINGS, OR LAND USES.
Public Comment Online Form
Written comments may be submitted electronically through the link below, in person at the Planning & Zoning Department, located at 610 South Mine Street, McCormick, SC 29835, through May 26, 2023, or at the Public Hearing.